Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What a Weekend!

First, I have to apologize for not writing sooner, but hopefully once you read this post you will understand just how busy my life has been recently.

This past weekend was one of the busiest we have had, but a lot of important events took place. As most of you know I have been enrolled at Butler University (GO DAWGS!) as a graduate student in the School Counseling program. And this weekend I was able to graduate from Butler with my master's degree! I first have to thank a few people for helping me make it through this program, for without them there is no way this could have been possible. First I have to thank my hubby. He has been a single Daddy most nights during the week for the last two years and without his willingness to pick up the slack this degree couldn't have been possible. I appreciate all the times he listened to me complain about the program or how tired I was or the amount of work I had to do. He was always there to lift me up and give me encouraging words to make it through my days at Butler. I also want to thank my parents and sister for all the times they helped us by watching Liam and the encouraging words they sent my way. This semester, in particular, was brutal with all the times I needed back-up sitters, but they were always able and willing to watch Liam without hesitation. It is in times like these that I truly realize how lucky I am to have the family that I do.

So back to this weekend...Friday I had my Hooding Ceremony with the College of Education. For those who don't know, when you graduate with a master's degree you wear a "hood" that shows your school colors around your neck that hangs to the small of your back, along with the other graduation gear. This ceremony was small and intimate and it was nice to be able to take Andy with me to meet some of my classmates and professors that I have had for two long years. After the ceremony, Andy treated me to a fantastic surprise dinner at Shula's Steakhouse, which was quite yummy! It was just so nice to be out at an adult dinner and get to talk to my husband uninterrupted for 3 hours! It is definitely a night I won't soon forget. Thank you to my mother-in-law, Gail, for watching Liam in order to make that night possible.

Here are some pictures of us at the ceremony:


Andy and I After I Received my Hood


Some Friends From Cohort 11


Dr. Goodman, Dr. Keller, and I

Then Saturday was the day of the actual graduation. I was lucky to have a small group there to support me, and was truly touched by all those who travelled from northern Indiana (and China!) to be there with me. Thank you Gail, Erin, Brad, and Bill for making the trip to Indy...I appreciate it. After somewhat of a lengthy ceremony I was able to walk across that stage and hear my name called CORRECTLY (yay!) and get my degree. It was such a great feeling to know that I had made it. It seemed like that day would never arrive at times, but all in all the two years really flew by. After graduation, we headed to lunch at Brinkley's to celebrate. It was nice to have everyone together, since to had been awhile. My family spoiled me and I was lucky enough to get a gift certificate to a spa, some much needed cash, a Burley I have longed for so Liam can take bike rides with us (woohoo!) and the tear-jerker of them all...a painted picture of Liam that my sister and Bill had done in China. The picture is absolutely amazing and looks exactly like him! I teared up (as did Gigi)just looking at the picture and was so touched that they went through all that work to keep it a surprise and get it here all the way from China. It is definitely something I will treasure forever. Here is a photo of the picture, it does not do it justice, but see if you can see the resemblance. The photo the artist based the portrait on is below this one.


My Beautiful Portrait of Little Man


The Photo they Followed

Here are some other photos of the big day...


The Tschida's


The Kessel's


The Hubby and Me


Liam Feeling the Effects of the Long Day with No Nap

Lastly, we headed up to Fort Wayne (giving Liam time to sleep for a much needed nap at this point) for a friend's wedding that evening. My sister-in-law, Erin, Gail, and Brad were nice enough to watch Liam while Andy and I headed out to the reception. Although it had been a crazy day and we just made it up to Fort Wayne in time, it was nice to be there to celebrate with Nick and Courtney. Congrats you two!

Here are a few photos of Liam playing while we were gone...


He's Our Drummer Boy


He's Serious About His Music

And of course, Sunday was Mother's Day, but I am going to save this for my next post...I think you all have been reading long enough. Check back soon for my Mother's Day post. Until next time!

2 comments:

The Kishtons said...

Congratulations on graduation! You faced some challenges over the last 2 years, but your amazing family was there to support you through it all, and I am sure that makes it all worth it. Aside from the adorable Liam, of course! P.S. LOVE the picture!

Ange said...

So proud of you! What a great accomplishment. Love all the pics and thanks for sharing.