Monday, May 9, 2011

"FROG!!!"

A couple weeks ago I had a funny story that I shared by email with Andy and my family to give them a laugh during their work day. They enjoyed it so much that I thought I would share it with you all.

Basically, Liam and I had a run in with a fly and it was quite an experience. Here is the email I sent them...

"Okay...I have a funny story that happened at nap time.

So I am in our room feeding Drew...Liam is almost asleep. Then a hear a blood curdling scream. I look on the monitor to see Liam literally dive-bombing out of his crib at the fastest speed I have seen him move. I put Drew down, who is screaming now because I took him off the boob while he is feeding.

I run into Liam's room and he is crying and screaming...and pointing in the air. Then he starts to scream, "FROG!" Hmmm...Frog, I think. Then I see it...a giant, black housefly. Liam is literally shaking behind me. He starts grabbing me and yelling "FROG!" and "UP!" at the same time. So I usher the fly out of the room with a book and put Liam back to bed. I go back, feed Drew who is still screaming and I think all is well and how I should call you (Andy) to tell you this funny story.

Then I hear it again, another blood curdling scream, followed by, you guessed it, another attempt of dive-bombing by our dare-devil son. I run into his room and nothing. "The bug is gone Buddy," I tell him and put him in bed. This happens three more times, "The bug is gone, Buddy. Stay in your bed."

Then he does it again. I go in there, frustrated this time because he is not listening and there it is. That stupid fly (or frog.)

This is the part where the story sounds made up but hand to God it is what happened. Liam is screaming at the "FROG!" and asking to be picked up. So I have his "Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What do you see?" book in my hand and him in my arms as I am wilding swatting at the fly. At one point I go over to the lamp in his room thinking it is over there because this fly has some killer moves for a fly and often flies and hides on me. So while I am looking for the fly, we stumble upon the yard flag from a fertilizer company that my parents apparently let Liam keep from their walk the other night hidden behind the bookshelf. So Liam, seeing this, wants his flag. So there we are. Me with my book and Liam with his flag, looking to do some damage to this disgusting little fly that is keeping me from getting a hot shower and some much needed time to myself. Then he reappears, keep in mind Liam will not stop screaming when I go near it nor will he let me put him down. So I am using my book with all my strength to kill this thing and Liam is, I guess, helping by screaming and waving a warning flag. It literally looked like the scene from Little Mermaid where the crazy, French chef is trying to kill the little crab, Sebastian. (If you don't believe me...well let's just say that there are a few new dents in Liam's crib and his window valence will need to be rehung when you get home :)

So we corner the fly on the window. I take a swat at it with my book...and I thought I got it but the carcass was no where to be found. Then Liam starts shaking his head violently and yelling. Where did the carcass land you ask??? In his hair! It was literally stuck in his hair! I swear, I couldn't make this stuff up. He was shaking his head violently trying to get the "FROG!" out of his hair. I finally calm him down, get the "FROG" out of his hair with a baby wipe and throw the damn thing outside.

Now at this point you may be asking wherever happened to poor, screaming Drew. I did check on him. He decided he was going to continue being laid-back Drew, get some milk later, and fall asleep soundly in his swing. Such a Sweetie...he must have known the battle that I was fighting and wanted to cut me some slack.

Now I am doing battle with Liam to stay in his bed and go to sleep. Because of that stupid fly, Liam's eyes are darting around like a crazy person, looking for any signs of that fly. So wish me luck, I am going to try and get our poor son to like napping again.

Ahhh, the joys of parenthood!"

No comments: